light into ashes
Jul 25, 2009 8:49pm
Re: Dark Star
Ah, Dark Star....the cause of many a deadhead quarrel....duels have been fought over this issue.....friendships lost, and reputations sunk....
But here are some Dark Stars I prefer to the ones on strat's list:
1) Veneta may be king, but 11-13-72 is the Dark Emperor of the Apocalypse.
2) I always preferred 1-2-70 to 2-13-70 for some reason.
3) I concede 9-19-70 as being supreme, but will submit 11-2-69 as being in the same emotional class.
4) The spacier May '72 Stars are excellent, but April '72 is where to turn for knockout blows - and 4-8-72 is the top of the heap.
5) 11-11-73 may well be the best Star of the year (and 10-19-73 is a runner-up), but 12-6-73 is the darkest Star.
6) OK, can't knock Live Dead, but '69 is the Year of the Star, and there must be room for 2-22-69, 4-22-69, 4-27-69, 5-31-69, 6-27-69, 7-7-69, 8-30-69, 11-7-69....'69 fans will know I'm leaving out twice as many....
7) 10-26-89 packs quite a punch for the era.
8) I think 2-15-73 is also my favorite Star of early '73, though I only consider it half a Star (and 2-26, 3-16 & 3-28 are awfully sweet) - it's one of those '73 versions where Phil says "step aside, boys."
9) Someone mentioned 10-31-71 - but also check out 10-24-71! (And leave some room for the delicious Nov/Dec '71 Stars too.)
10) Summer/fall '72 can't be overlooked either, with awesome Stars crashing right & left from Jersey to Berkeley....like spring '72, the jams here usually range from great to awesome, and I can hardly choose from the galactic riches.
You'll pardon my not providing links as usual, but I fear this thread will quickly disappear under a new wave of rants tomorrow.